Friday 4 November 2011

Another Week

I realise it has been a week or so since I updated my blog. Things have been pretty stable (a plateau phase) for the last week or so, so there has not been a lot to say. That said the last couple of days were not the best as I had a lot more discomfort and have found it difficult to eat much in the evenings. I am of course still very fatigued and my brain does not let me sleep too much during the day (my brain just won't turn off and I end up thinking about all sorts of things rather than relaxing).
I have been having weekly blood tests that track, amongst other things, my hemoglobin levels. After my blood transfusion in hospital several weeks ago my hemoglobin levels have been steadily going down, and I was expecting to need another blood transfusion next week ( which would have been a huge physical drain on me just getting to the hospital). However, the blood test results of yesterday have just come back and my hemoglobin levels are now (just) higher than when I left hospital. I take this as a huge bit of good news as it means my body has kicked in and started to produce it on it's own. I needed that bit of good news - it has given me a nice physiological lift.
On another note, I would like to sincerely thank all those that have contributed to, and continue to contribute to, the Pullan Family Trust. It has made a huge difference to my family and I and has helped ease the financial stress of the situation I am in. Thank you all.

5 Comments:

At 7 November 2011 at 13:38 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Andrew. Just been catching up on how you are doing. Yay for a physiological lift!!! Those overactive brains that can't switch off are a problem :)
John B and I are preparing for Biomouth at the moment - I will really miss having you there. We will send you a copy of the booklet for your leisurely perusal at some point in time.
Love Kylie

 
At 7 November 2011 at 19:57 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrew, Patti, Zeke and Xanthe - you are all in our thoughts and prayers. David is not rowing this year, so we have been out of touch. Reading about your (Andrew) premature retirement in the University News has therefore come as a shock. Thank you for sharing what must be an extremely difficult time in your lives with us. Kia kaha - the Fraser family

 
At 7 November 2011 at 23:57 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Andrew, I've been catching up with your blog, and my thoughts are with you and your family and have been over these months. Thank you for so generously sharing this battle with us. Your determination is inspiring, and your words always bring me back to what is important in life - family and community. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow at Aorere prizegiving, which is sure to be spirited and vibrant and uplifting - I hope we can send some of that your way. Kia Kaha - Donna Rose Addis

 
At 8 November 2011 at 19:34 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Andrew, Patti and fam,
May and I are sitting on a beach in Vietnam, watching the world go by, and waiting for enough wind to go kite-surfing (sadly they dont come with trainer wheels, which is what I need at the moment), and thinking about you all. Im sure that there are lots of people around the world doing the same, and hoping for your improved health. Reading your blog has certainly made us realise we must grab every day and give it a good shake-up, which is of course your approach to life.
BTW, it is an odd fact that all the signs here are in vietnamese and russian, go figure.
All the best, jeff and may.

 
At 9 November 2011 at 05:44 , Blogger theBeyderClan said...

Hi Andrew, i wanted to thank you and your group for a great stay in NZ and a wonderful conference. We all wished you could be there. I am glad you are staying strong and updating the blog for our sake.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home