Thursday 20 October 2011

Retirement

A lot has happened since my last posting. My blood test results indicated that I did not need a transfusion (I will be getting another blood test today and for the next few weeks to keep a regular watch on my blood count). I am back to typing my own blog and my fatigue levels are not as bad as they were (although they are still pretty bad at times). I am also essentially pain free as my body has settled down a bit (I still get quite a lot of discomfort at times but I don't consider that to be pain). This has made quite a lot of difference to my day to day life.

On another note, it is with a greet deal of sadness that I have decided to retire on medical grounds so that I can focus on my recovery and my family. My retirement will require some adjustments be made by my family, but it is in the best interests of my family that I do this now. I am confident that when I am well the University will have me back in some sort of role so I am thinking of this as just a temporary measure.

5 Comments:

At 20 October 2011 at 17:49 , Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Retirement Andrew :)
Its probably not when or how you had planned on retiring, but hey, you have much bigger fish to fry right now.
As for the University having you back........, I can't imagine this place without you. Faculty meetings have been so dull since you left, I've had to resort to causing mischief on the back row :)

Thanks for the blog updates, it allows people like me who care and are concerned, but don't want to get in the way to stay in touch.

Happy to hear the fatigue is cutting you some slack.

Michelle

 
At 20 October 2011 at 22:18 , Blogger chillibin said...

HI Andrew,
It was a big shock to read your blog but thanks for sharing your journey. Good on you for retiring, your health and family have to come first and like you say, when you are strong and well, you can go back to work in some capacity. Your story makes me appreciate every day and reminds me not to ever take for granted being in good health. My love to you all...keep strong and positive, we know how powerful the mind is, and yours was always an excellent one. Take care and i look forward to hearing some more positive news soon, Love Susanne x

 
At 20 October 2011 at 23:37 , Blogger Rita said...

I hope you know that you are constantly in our thoughts and prayers. Looking forward to seeing you again when you are ready for visitors :).
If you or the family need anything please let me know.
Lots of love
Rita

 
At 23 October 2011 at 13:03 , Blogger Nana said...

Greetings from Kansas City,

Andrew,
I received an email from Lovena last night & so
here I am writing in your blog.
I just got home from Detroit Michigan. My two daughters ran the 26.2 Detroit Marathon. They are my two Angels here on earth, they ran on behalf of me for my Lymphoma B Cells Cancer.
Andrew, I don't have any profound words or magical
words to say to you of what you are going through, but we want you to know that we have not forgotten about you. May God continue to bless you with this
very challenging journey.
Our prayers are with you and your sweet family.
Kia Kaha!

Love Fia & Bruce Hammond

 
At 25 October 2011 at 07:37 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Andrew,
glad to hear the improved energy in your latest blog. We are constantly thinking of you and your family, and wishing you all the very best. Retiring is a great thing to do right now, you just have to take the time you need.
Work on being well, and keep misbehaving
cheers
Jeff and May

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home