Monday, 12 September 2011

The Journey Continues

Since my last blog post I have been largely pain free. I am of course taking a reasonable base dose of pain medication regularly and I am not sure how much pain I would be in if I stopped taking all that. But I have not had to take any extra pain meds since Thursday. I have a very tender liver where I believe the bleed occurred last weekend, and I have to be quite gentle with myself. I am also finding I am sleeping much more during the day than I have been - on Sunday I slept for over 4 hours in patches and I was very comfortable and relaxed.
I had wanted to go and see my son's weightlifting competition on Saturday, but I was feeling quite weak that day. However, I did force myself to go, and it turned out fine. Patti took a cushion for me to sit on, and I managed to watch Zeke's whole event in relative comfort. I was also surprised that when I got home I was not totally exhausted, like I have been so many other times. In total I was out over 2 hours, my biggest outing since my bad weekend.
I have been surprised at just how exhausted my body can become, and how quickly it can happen. I have, in years gone by, pushed myself pretty hard physically, both through sporting events and doing home renovations. I have worked so hard that it seemed every muscle in my body was aching, cramp was setting in and I was finding it difficult to continue. I have however never gotten to the point where I could not seem to put one foot in front of the other or not stand up on my own. This is what happens to me now, on a rather routine/daily basis. My body is clearly working hard on repairing itself, and I just have to accept my physical limitations at the moment, although this can be very hard.
I have enjoyed a very small number of nice visits over the last little while. As I continue through this low energy phase though it is difficult to commit a time to any particular visit as I could well be sleeping. I have also taken to unplugging the phone when I lay down just to ensure I don't get disturbed.
There are a number of things coming up over the next several weeks that would normally involve me. With the events of last weekend, and knowing that could happen again, I am taking things one day at a time. I cannot predict how long it will be before I can make firmer plans and participate in life more, but I know that day will come. I just have to ride this out and try to stay upbeat during the low times.


At 12 September 2011 at 22:59 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there - hello! Love, Robyn

At 13 September 2011 at 17:20 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

m8 been reading your posts, thankyou for sharing this difficult time, keep up the good work, it is very humbling to see that in all your trials you are still able to share and correspond with friends and non friends alike.
just one thing you keep on referring on how nice lunch is, i know this is short notice but can i put an order in, if Patti doesn't mind, and also can you deliver thanks your old old school friend mark perth australia.
ps i wont a rematch, 400 meters you and me i think i may be able to beat you this time lol.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home